Monday, November 2, 2009

Two Week Anniversary

After two weeks of training with Michael I have learned a few things.  And in keeping with a spirit of sharing, I thought I would share these little life lessons learned right behind the donut shop.  

First, thou shalt not weigh thyself on thine own scale.  Unfortunate for my self-esteem I have learned that the "Michael's Fitness" scale is a whopping SIX POUNDS heavier than "thine."  After I went into the tanning room and cried my eyes out (yes folks Michael's Fitness also has tanning beds) I was emphatically threatened by Michael himself for weighing daily.  FINE!  Maybe it is not such a good idea to weigh daily.  Besides the added dose of discouragement, "thine own scale," does not matter anymore.  Throw it out if you choose, because the trainers scale is all that matters (even if it sends you into hysterics in the tanning room).  :)

Second, resistance and weights are a must if you want to replace fat with muscle.  At weigh in this past Friday, I was exactly the same weight.  However, my dimensions were smaller almost every place he measured plus I went down 1 full % in body fat.  This means, that although my weight did not change, I replaced fat with muscle.  This phenomenon resulted in some very odd behavior by Michael as well.  Some whooping and high fiving may have scared a few customers enjoying their donut at the delectable AM Donuts in the front of our property.  

Third, even if you cringe at the thought of someone strapping a tape measure around your waste, it is a necessary beginning to get a necessary result.  Even if you are participating with us at home, you need to get your STATS written down.  You want to be able to see your beginning stats so you will know how to adjust to attain your goals.  So, get out your tape measure and keep a journal.  Plus, there is nothing more encouraging than seeing those stats inch closer toward your overall goal.  

Oh yes, some things I learned about me.  If my form is poor on the treadmill, and yes form can even be poor with the setting as low as 3.5, one risks bashing one's hand on the treadmill grips.  I am apparently uncoordinated.  Every time I get on treadmill #1, I inevitably bruise the top part of my hand.  I am literally walking around with bruises on both hands (yes these typing hands are also battered beyond belief).  But, that's sacrifice isn't it?  I thought you would agree.  Some people sacrifice their daily dessert, others sacrifice beverages, I throw my hands to the wind and let the treadmill assault them.  

Another thing I have learned is that laughing and weightlifting are not a complimentary duo.  Laugh while lifting a bar over your head and you just might get to know that bar a little more intimately than you would like.  Never fear, Liberty's hospital is open in case things were to get out of hand.  We are equipped for such disasters.  And I will try to compose my laughter while participating in SERIOUS training sessions.  

'Til Next Time,
Jessica Kirkland

No comments:

Post a Comment