Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Cracker Fairy

I speak the truth when I say that a gluten free fairy must have visited my pantry today.  It is has been 8 months since I started eating gluten free.  Gluten is a protein of wheat.  And many people, like myself, are allergic to gluten.  Consumption for me leads to violent consequences of an unbloggable nature.  Trust me.  For once, I will spare you the details.  My family says I have no boundaries.  I hug customers, talk about private matters with acquaintances, and have been known to use pregnancy terms out of turn.  Let's just say they would be extremely proud of my "lack" of sharing for once.  Moving on.

I returned home from my workout tonight and needed food!  I have to admit, working out every day has made me less hungry.  Usually, I would be counting down the seconds until my next meal, but since I have made my workouts a daily priority, I am more satisfied between meals (even though I am eating less as well).  Oh the beauty of God's creation!  So, I rummaged through the drawer and found some low fat cheese and this wonderful invention called Turkey Pepperoni made by Hormel.  Thank you to the mind behind those (and the turkey who gave his life for me to consume them)!  I waltzed to the gluten free cabinet (yes I have one in my home) and was looking for something additional.  And there, shining through the darkness was a lone box of Glutino crackers?  You can imagine my confusion!  Crackers that are gluten free?  Not made with wheat?  I did not recall buying such a thing, and yet we stared at each other face to face for a few brief moments.  Then, the novelty soon turned to doubt as I recalled all the "other" gluten free crackers I have tried over the past 8 months.  Some met a gruesome death and ended up in the trash can.  Some were not even that lucky.  

Reluctantly, I removed the Glutino "cheese" crackers from the shelf and opened them carefully.  Some gluten free products have a certain smell; but these smelled as close to Ritz as one could get.  I saw a little pixie dust fall to the ground as I put one up to my mouth.  

Sweet, glorious cracker!  These crackers do indeed taste like a cracker, not cardboard as some of their predecessors.  So, tonight, I would like to give a shout out to the cracker fairy and give a thumbs up to Glutino for mastering the art of the cracker (without wheat).  

'Til Next Time,
Jessica Kirkland

No comments:

Post a Comment